ICF walls (Insulating Concrete Forms) are becoming more popular as energy costs increase and as our surroundings become noisier. Some features of ICF walls include:
- Reduced air infiltration. Used in conjunction with spray foam insulation for the roof, the air infiltration is greatly reduced, providing for a more energy efficient structure, with less dust and pollen entering the home.
- The tonnage on the heating and cooling system can be reduced, which reduces energy costs.
- Superior sound barrier. Between the polystyrene and concrete, the sound level from the exterior is greatly reduced, which is great for urban lots near high traffic areas.
- The polystyrene insulation combined with the thermal mass benefits of concrete provides for higher effective R values.
- ICF walls are superior to wood construction for fire resistance.Superior to wood for termite protection.Sustainable product.
- The ICF walls should perform much longer without repairs than normal wood construction.